Teacher Job Description
Position Title: Teacher
Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer/Principal
Supervises: Students, Paraprofessionals
Teachers at Arrowhead Youth & Family Services are responsible for leading students toward the fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, physical, social, emotional, as well as psychological growth and maturation. As they perform these duties, teachers will use CPI techniques to monitor and interact with students and will keep detailed and accurate records of student progress toward achieving IEP goals. All of this will be done with the assistance of a Para-Professional. Confidentiality will be strictly adhered to with regard to the school activities, due to the sensitivity of same.
Works with the Principal and Education Staff by performing the following education duties:
Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
Creates a therapeutic classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity as well as interests of students using a strength-based approach.
Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the program goals of Arrowhead Youth & Family Services and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides monthly progress reports as required.
Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
Maintains accurate, complete and correct records as required by law, Arrowhead Youth & Family Services policy and administrative regulations.
Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for Para-Professionals and/or volunteer(s) and cooperatively with principal, evaluates their job performance.
Makes provisions for being available to students, parents, and treatment staff for educational related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
Must attend and participate in faculty meetings as required.
Cooperates with other members of the both education and treatment staff in education planning as required.
Assists in the selection of textbooks, equipment and other instructional materials as requested.
Accepts a share of responsibility for co-curricular activities assigned.
Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with others.
Provides for personal/professional growth through an ongoing program of reading, workshops, seminars, conferences and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
Maintains specific advanced lesson plans one week in advance, seating charts, and etcetera to assist substitute teachers in performing their duties in the teachers’ absence.
To perform any other duties requested by the immediate supervisor.
1. Any qualifications set by state certification authorities or the appropriate agency; must have an LBS license.
2. Must be First Aid and CPR certified.
3. Will value diversity and incorporate cultural differences into educational planning and implementation into work environment.
4. Must have a valid driver’s license and approval from the state of Illinois Department of Children and Family Services to transport children. Must qualify to become insured by Arrowhead’s insurance carrier
5. Must be physically capable of participating in the CPI restraint of adolescents that are endangering the safety of self, others, or the destruction of property. In addition, must be physically capable of successful completion of CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention) training and be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
Terms of Employment:
Year round school commitment.
Annual performance review.